15.2.14

Hélène's All White Salad # French Fridays with Dorie

This week's assignment for the Doirstas was Hélène's All White Salad.... a mushroom, celery, apple and napa cabbage salad with mayonnaise dressing and a sprinkle of sesame seeds for garnish.

It is not very often that you come across monochromatic salads, specially in white. Driven by curiosity I had tried this one soon after I got my copy of Around My French Table. I was a little wary of the yolk in the dressing and had left it out .. Our general opinion then was that it isn't so great a salad... Both husband and I had not liked the raw after taste that the mushroom left. There were leftovers which I ate the following day and guess what, I really liked it. The chilled yogurt-olive oil-dressed mushrooms tasted so good !

Keeping that in mind, this time, I chopped all the vegetables, dressed them with a mixture of half of the yogurt and olive oil, seasoned them and chilled the dressed salad overnight before adding the mayonnaise and serving. The result was fabulous. Though slightly speckled, the chilled salad tasted fantastic and we really enjoyed it.


Visit French Fridays with Dorie to know what the other members thought about this salad. You can find a version of the recipe here . For Dorie's original recipe and more such delicious ones order your copies of Around my French Table and join the Doristas in this tasty adventure.


9 comments:

  1. Chilling overnight is great for this salad! Glad you liked it better second time around.

    Happy Valentine's Weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am of your opinion as well. A rare miss in a book full of hits.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the leftovers today and found that the mushrooms were even more flavourful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a great idea to chill the salad overnight!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love the idea of dressing this overnight - thanks so much for sharing ! I have leftovers and will do this, with fingers crossed that our opinions are improved :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I wonder if I'd have liked this more if I chilled the salad overnight to crisp it up. I wasn't a fan this week. Can't wait for the crepes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. French salad looks so creamy and yummy :) heading over to the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, I tossed the dressing with the cabbage ahead of time and liked it after the flavors of the cabbage and the dressing melded. Very nice :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds like a good dish to made for lunch the next day. Thanks for linking up to Sweet and Savoury Sunday, stop by and link up again. Have a great day!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. It was nice having you here. Have a good day.

Take care and come back soon.
Best, Tanusree

Like us

Printfriendly

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...