Does it ever happen to you that you see a recipe, pin it and then cannot get it out of your head until you have tried it. It happens to me all the time... specially when I see something as awesome as a hand-written muffin recipe from a different era .. Something with ICE_CREAM and a promise of goodness in it. Something like these muffins from Four Mars.. One Venus that scream and beg to be baked right away... So I tweaked Jen's grandmother's Quick Blueberry muffin recipe a bit to make these Chocochip Cherry n' Coke muffins for breakfast on Sunday...
I had read about coke doing wonders to the texture of cakes before and on Sunday experienced it first hand. Even with their share of whole wheat flour, these muffins turned out so soft and fluffy. They were wonderful. Little boy enjoyed them too and declared that he likes cherry muffins.
The texture became a little dense the next day... but even then they tasted good. In fact I thought like most whole wheat cakes, they tasted better the following day. I had glazed half of the batch with a coke-cocoa glaze and my husband liked the glazed ones, little boy and and I however preferred ours unglazed ones. We were happy with the chocolate-cherry combo and did not care much for the added sugar.....
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 24-25 minutes
Total time: 35 minutes Yield: 12 regular
- 1 cup ice-cream, at room temperature
- 2 tbsps sugar
- ½ cup whole wheat flour
- ½ cup all purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- ¼ cup + 2 tbsps coca cola
- 1 cup dark sweet cherries (I used frozen)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocochips
For the glaze
- 2 ½ tbsps butter
- 3 tbsps cocoa powder
- ¼ cup coca cola
- 1 cup powdered sugar(sifted)
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Center the rack and preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Grease 12 muffins cups and keep aside.
- Whisk the sugar into the melted ice-cream.
- Sift the flours together with the baking powder and salt into the bowl of ice-cream and mix well.
- Stir the coca cola into the mixture and mix until well combined.
- Gently, fold in the cherries and chocochips into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared muffins cups and bake in preheated oven for 20-25 minutes.
The muffins can be enjoyed right away or glazed....
- For the glaze, put butter, cocoa powder and coca cola in a saucepan and bring it to a boil over medium heat. Turn off the heat and whisk in the powdered sugar and vanilla extract.
- Dip the muffins into the glaze and leave aside for a few minutes until the glaze sets. Then serve and enjoy !