22.6.14

Black Bean Quinoa Salad



The other day I spotted a few odd ingredients in the fridge.  A chunk of pineapple, some corn, a red bell pepper and some cilantro. Now what do you make with such odd ingredients ? May be a hundred odd dishes, may be delicious ones too... but I just wasn't in the mood to think and create. So I Googled and landed upon Guy Fieri's Black Bean Salad. The salad looked appetizing and I was sure that adding a little something would make it a meal. I decided on quinoa and minutes later was ready with a bowl of bright and zesty Black Bean Quinoa Salad.

For whatever reason, husband and I find quinoa salads taste tastier when chilled and this one was no exception. We enjoyed the cumin-chili-lime-honey-balsamic vinaigrette a lot, and the salad as a whole. So in case you have some odd bits in our fridge, seeking attention. Try this salad. It is pretty good.. 

Black Bean Quinoa Salad

Recipe adapted from Guy Fieri's Black Bean Salad
Prep time: 30 minutes                Total time: 45 minutes + chilling time           Serves: 3 for dinner

Ingredients
  • ½ cup quinoa
  • 2 corn on the cob, boiled or roasted
  • 1 red bell pepper, diced
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 red onion, diced
  • ½ roma tomato, diced
  • ⅓ cup pineapple, diced
  • 1 can black beans, drained (15.5 ounces)
For the vinaigrette
  • 3 tbsps olive oil
  • 4 tbsps balsamic vinegar
  • ¾ tsp cumin powder
  • freshly squeezed from 1 lime
  • 2 green chilies, chopped
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • ½ - 1 tsp honey
  • 3 tbsps chopped cilantro
Cooking Directions
  1. Cook the quinoa following instructions given here.
  2. Whisk together all the ingredients of the vinaigrette in a cup and keep aside.
  3. Cut the corn off the cob.
  4. In a medium sized bowl combine the cooked kernels of corn, quinoa, black bean with the diced pineapple, onions, springs onions, bell pepper and tomato. Pour the vinaigrette over it, mix well and refrigerate for at least one hour before serving.

I shall be sharing this salad at the following parties..


10 comments:

  1. wow thats a super healthy and colorful looking salad with quinoa :) I wud love to have it for lunch !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love quinoa salad. Black beans and pineapple, lovely combination. Will try it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi dear, I love quinoa and definitely will be trying this recipe. I would like to invite you to a group board on pinterest called "Recipes We Love", so you can share your recipes and photos and they can get more exposure to other people. Please let me know what you think. My pinterest profile is:http://www.pinterest.com/lsl6/ . Let me know if you are interested so I can send an invitation. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks awesome! I was planning on making quinoa + black beans with...something this weekend. Looks like I've found the recipe! :]

    ReplyDelete
  5. This recipe looks fantastic. I've never tried pineapple in my quinoa salad before.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All the healthful colors in your dish caught my eye at #Wine'd Down Wed. Linky! YUM.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like to invite you to link up at #theWeekendSocial. We start every Thursday at 9:00 PM EST and run through Sunday night. Love to see you and your gorgeous creations. http://www.theKitchenChopper.com Plus, we pin every link! Come on by! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a really refreshing summer salad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful, healthy, pinned! Thanks for partying with us this week at Let's Get Real.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful recipe! Thank you for sharing it at the Let's Get Real Link Party. Congradulations ! You have been chosen as my Feature!!! I have been selected as a guest host and wanted to let you know we loved your recipe! See you this Thursday at 5 Pm! I can't wait to see what you have in store for us next!!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by. It was nice having you here. Have a good day.

Take care and come back soon.
Best, Tanusree

Like us

Printfriendly

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...