Lately I have been working on my archive of recipes. No it is not ready to be published yet... but hopefully it will be up by 12.1.2014. Anyway.. while creating the archive I noticed that I haven't yet shared this family favorites with you...
... my Whole Grain Applesauce and Sour Cream Pancakes with Warm Maple Syrup.
Hubby likes them, I like them and now even the toddler likes them. They are soft and fluffy and taste wonderful with that warm maple syrup. I make them every other week and I always feel satisfied when I serve these for breakfast.. Firstly because the toddler has it without any fuss and secondly they are so nutritious. Besides the applesauce and (fatfree) sour cream, these are filled with the goodness of teff. As I have mentioned earlier, teff is a nutrition packed flour with higher protein content than wheat. It has twice as much iron as wheat and barley and a high concentration of a variety of nutrients including calcium and thiamin. Also, because of its high fiber content, is believed to help in dealing with diabetes and assisting with blood sugar control.
I adapted the recipe from Pioneer Woman's Sour Cream Pancake recipe (which by the way is gorgeous and a must-try-recipe in case you haven't tried it yet.) However because of health concerns I kept adding and subtracting ingredients from the original list until I ended up with this delicious and healthier version of Edna Sour Cream pancakes...
Whole Grain Applesauce & Sour Cream Pancakes with Warm Maple Syrup
Prep time: 10 minutes Cook time: 10 minutesTotal time: 20 minutes Yield: 6
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup applesauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream (I used fatfree)
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp whole wheat flour
- 2 tbsps teff flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
For Warm Maple Syrup
- 1/2 tsp-1 tsp ginger powder
- butter for frying and serving
- 2 tsps of dried cranberries and hazelnuts
- Whisk the egg, applesauce, sour cream and vanilla extract in a medium sized bowl.
- Add the sugar to it and whisk till it is well combined.
- Sift the flours, salt and baking soda into the bowl containing the whisked egg-applesauce-sour cream mixture and using a wooden spoon stir the flour mixture in until just combined (do not over mix).
- Let the batter rest for a couple of minutes before proceeding to prepare the pancakes.
- Heat a griddle over medium heat and melt some butter in the pan.
- Drop batter by 2 tablespoons per pancake into the griddle and cook on the first side till bubble begin to appear on the surface and the edges begin to brown. Flip with a spatula and cook on the other side for another minute.
- Serve with softened butter and warm maple syrup.
- For the warm maple syrup, mix the maple syrup and ginger powder in a saucepan and bring the solution to a boil. Switching off the heat pour the warm syrup over the stack of freshly prepared pancakes.
- Garnish with nuts and dried cranberries to accentuate the holiday mood !
You may like these teff recipes too !
I shall be sharing this at the following parties.
Monday : Mix it up Monday, The Scoop, Made with love Monday, Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks, Recipe Sharing @ Jam Hands Melt in your Mouth Monday, Inspiration Monday Party Recipe Sharing Monday, Inspire Me Monday, Clever Chicks Blog Hop,Maniac Monday Linky Party, Meatless Monday:Meatless Monday My Sweet and Savory
Tuesday : Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box, Tasteful Tuesday Party @ Nap Time Creations, Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home , Hand Made Tuesday @ Ladybug Blessings ,Share it Link Party @ Winthrop Chronicles, Tasty Tuesday @ Anyonita Nibbles, Hearth and Soul blog Hop, In & Out of the Kitchen @ Feeding Big & More, Tuesday's Table @ Love in the Kitchen
Wednesday : What's Cooking Wednesday @ Buns in my Oven, Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain, Show and Share @ Semi Homemade Mom, Wine'd Down Wednesday, Wonderful Food Wednesdays at @ All She CooksWonderful Food Wednesdays at @ Mom's Test Kitchen Wednesday, Whatsit@White Lights on Wednesday, Wednesday Extravaganza @ Hunger Little Girl, Create & Share @ The Trendy Tree House, What I Whipped Up Wednesday @ Sugar & Dots Look, What I Made @ Creations by Kara
Thursday: Link it Up Thursday @ Seven Alive, Fantastic Thursday @ Three Little Chiefs, Thriving on Thursdays @ Domesblissity, Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage , Freedom Friday @ My Turn, Thursday's Treasures @ Food Done Light,Pin it Thursday @ Sweet Bella Roos,
Friday : Foodie Friday @ Simple Living and Eating, Friday Linky Party @ The Pin Junkie, Get Him Feed @ Anyonita Nibbles, Friday Favorite (DYI too) @ Simple Sweet Home, Foodie Friday @ Not Your Ordinary Recipes, Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm, Weekend Wonders @ The Thriftiness Miss, Friday Food Frenzy @ Mostly Food and Crafts, Weekend Potluck @ Sunflower Supper Club, The Weekend re-Treat @The Best Blog Recipes