30.10.10

after an years stay in Chennai...

I now understand that "a" attached to any English word qualifies for a question mark... and the letter "h" appearing in most Tamil names is silent...

I have learnt that too many women wearing yellow on Fridays is not a mere coincidence but a superstition.. and that women in cargos with strings of jasmine tucked into their hair is not odd fusion but an attempt at preserving age-old-customs....

I have learnt to accept and enjoy rains in November...

I have started to follow conversations in Tamil which include few English words...

I know the roads to and from the Silk stores in Thyagaraya Nagar (T.Nagar) and with confidence can haggle with the auto-drivers the rates... I can even give them directions when needed just to make sure that they know I am not a stranger to Chennai.

And these days I even appreciate the Tamil breakfasts of idli, dosa, pongal with sambhar and coconut-chutney and sometimes miss the coconut and spices when on holiday..... 

Yet in spite of my one years experience here, I haven't managed to master the proportions for a good cup of Tamil coffee. the not-so-sweet-not-so-bitter perfect brown coffee that they serve in the Tamil-households or cater at Hot-chips. So on days like this when its incessantly raining outside, I feel a little elated when i get my  sugar-milk-decoction proportions right !

[sip, sip...] hmm...thats what you call perfection ! a perfect start to the weekend....

I hope all of you also had a good start. Have a perfect weekend !



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. It was nice having you here. Have a good day.

Take care and come back soon.
Best, Tanusree

Like us

Printfriendly

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...