15.5.14

Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa # French Fridays with Dorie

Last week we were assigned to make Leeks Vinaigrette with Mimosa for French Fridays with Dorie.  

Had it not been for FFwD, I would have never thought of making any dish with leeks as the star ingredients. However since Dorie's recipes are unique and never ceases to surprise, I decided to try. The ingredient list was small, so sticking to the recipe felt important. But there was no way that was happening this time. There was no sherry vinegar in our local grocery store.  I had to make do with whatever I had and proceeded thus....

I trimmed the leeks off the root and the dark green parts, cleaned them, tied four of them in a bundle and cooked them for 20 minutes in salted boiling water. Meanwhile I boiled an egg and in a cup whisked together some Dijon mustard, olive oil, walnut oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar. Once the leeks were done, I snipped the thread holding them together, sliced two of them crosswise, left the other two as it is, poured the vinaigrette over them and finally grated a quarter of the hard-boiled egg over the leeks. 

 

The grated egg was suppose to look like mimosa on the stalk.  It was not until later that I found the above image of mimosa... so my plate of leeks simply looked like cooked leeks with vinaigrette and grated egg. 

My husband avoids egg yolks so there was no "mimosa" on his plate. He neither praised nor complained about the leeks vinaigrette.  I thought  that the walnut-balsamic vinegar vinaigrette was great and that the leeks that had been cut crosswise tasted better since the vinaigrette had seeped into them. I however was not thrilled about the dish, just glad that I tried.

Visit French Fridays with Dorie to know what the other members thought about this dish. You can find the recipe here. For more such recipes get your copy of Dorie Greenspan's book  Around my French Table and starting relishing.


I shall be sharing this at some of these weekly parties.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by. It was nice having you here. Have a good day.

Take care and come back soon.
Best, Tanusree

Like us

Printfriendly

.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...