Hi ! How was your weekend ? Mine wasn't very eventful though we did go thrifting and returned back satisfied. I bought a few pieces of kitchenware, little boy got a BIG car carrier and husband a bunch of music cds. Other than that we did very little...just the regular cleaning, grocery shopping and of course..... I baked these malted cookies and a lovely holiday bread. Will tell you more about the bread soon....but right now its cookie time...
I had bookmarked these malted cookies from Bake for Happy Kids. The recipe there is an adaption of Pioneer Woman's Malted Milk Chocochip Cookies. Like Zoe I used Horlicks in place of malted milk powder and then tweaked the original recipe further by substituting all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour and the chocochips with an assortment of M & M's and pieces of dark chocolate. The final cookie was nice, snappy and addictive. They were a hit even with my toddler and our friend's preschooler so can safely be labeled as kid-friendly !
Chocolate and M & M studded Malted Milk Cookies
15 minutes Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes Yield: 20
Total time: 25 minutes Yield: 20
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Horlicks or Malted Milk Powder (I used chocolate flavored Horlicks)
- 1/2 +1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 +1/8 tsp salt
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 6 oz assortment of M & M and chocolate chips
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cream the butter, add sugar to it and beat until it is well combined.
- Add the egg and vanilla extract to the mixture and beat till the mixture becomes creamy and fluffy.
- Add the Horlicks or malted milk powder into the butter mixture and beat it is well incorporated.
- Now sift the flour together with the baking soda and salt oven the butter-Horlicks mixture, then gently fold it into the butter until just combined.
- Scoop out one tablespoon of the mixture at a time, shape it into flattened disc and place 1 1/2 inch apart on the prepared baking trays.
- Press enough M & Ms and chocolate chips into each disc and bake in preheated oven for 10 minutes.
In case you prefer more chewy cookies, substitute half of the light brown with granulated sugar, use 1/4 cup of Horlicks instead of 1/3 cup and for lesser time.
Now a quick look at this week's menu at Ma Niche...
|Weekly Menu Plan|
|Sunday||Poori(deep fried whole wheat bread), Peas-Potato Curry, Gujrathi Kadhi|
Stewed Cauliflower stems, Bengali Egg Curry, Cholar Dal with Rice
Roasted Beets, Mulligatawny Soup, Bread
Spiced Squash,Fennel and Pear Soup and Stuffed Bread
Chicken Roast with Carrots and peas and Olive Oil Roasted Potatoes
Orange-Scented Lentil Soup and Chicken Sandwich with leftovers from chicken roast
Sharing this with Meal Plan Monday @ Organizing Junkie
I shall be sharing this at the following parties.
Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks, Melt in your Mouth Monday, Inspiration Monday Party Sharing Monday,
Meatless Monday:Meatless Monday My Sweet and Savory
Share it Link Party @ Winthrop Chronicles, Tasty Tuesday @ Anyonita Nibbles, Hearth and Soul blog Hop,
Wednesday : What's Cooking Wednesday @ Buns in my Oven, Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain,