This month I joined Gayathri's Eggless Baking Group. Well its no secret that I love baking. I bake a lot and every now and then I like my cakes and bakes to be eggless . While I had been hesitating on whether or not to join another baking group, their last months challenge convinced me that to join the group. They had baked eggless Tiramisu. Now that is something I would like to try but I wonder if I would try to bake it unless I was challenged to do so. so yes. I left a message at Gayathri's Cook Spot and soon enough she added me to the group and mailed me the challenge for May... Eggless Crispy Creamy Donuts. The original recipe that Jayanthi of Sizzling Veggies suggested from All Recipes included eggs and we were challenged to bake rather fry an eggless version of it.
Though every once in a while we love to pick up donuts from our neighbourhood Dunkin Donuts, to be honest I wasn't very excited about trying these at home. The reason. I hate to deep fry. not just because it isn't the healthiest option but because I cannot fry. getting the correct oil temperature always seems like a tricky business and you know everything goes wrong if the temperature is not correct. the fried stuff is either undone or soaking with too much oil. and no one is happy. anyway since it was the challenge for the month I gave it a try. the first batch of donuts and their little star shaped kins came out fine. but i wasn't very happy with the second and third batch. so though 1 made 13 normal sized donuts and several little star shaped ones, it is only the mini star donuts and 6 of the 13 donuts that I am proud of... its however a different question if I'll ever make them again. probably not. but i do intend to try out the baked version .
now the recipe of donuts that I adapted from All Recipes
Eggless Crispy Cheesy Donuts
for the dough
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3 1/2 tbsp butter (+1 1/4 tsps oil )
- 1 Yoplait light, peach flavor, 6oz pack
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/4 tsps bread machine yeast
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 1/4 cups confectioner's sugar
- 3 tbsps cream cheese
- 2 tbsps cocoa powder
- 3 tbsps hot water
- 3 tbsps sugar syrup
- 3 tbsps cream cheese
- 2 tbsps white chocolate chips
- chocolate sprinkles
what i did
- in order to make the dough I put all the ingredients except the oil in the bread machine pan and programmed the machine for dough cycle. 10 minutes after the cycle started I felt the dough with my fingers. it seemed like an extra helping of oil was required. so at this point i added the extra oil, 1/4 tsp at a time and let the kneading continue for another 7 minutes till the dough felt smooth and elastic.
- then unplugging the bread machine i placed the dough in a greased bowl and covered it with a greased plastic wrap and let the dough double.
- it was a hot day. with kitchen thermometer showing 79 degrees F, the dough doubled in 1 hour and according to the recipe I was following, was ready to be rolled, that is when touched, the indentations in the dough remained.
- once the dough was ready, i turned it into a heavily floured surface, then using a well floured rolling pin gently rolled it out into a 1/2 inch thick sheet. then using my 3 1/4 inch diameter-ed round cookie cutter and 1 1/2 inch star-shaped cookie cutter I cut out the donuts from the dough and covered the donuts loosely with a cloth and let them rise again until they doubled.
- in the meantime i prepared the cheesy chocolate glaze by first melting the butter and cream cheese over a double broiler, and then adding the remaining ingredients other than the water to it. once all the ingredients were well combined, i poured the mixture in a bowl and added hot water to it 1 tablespoon at a time until it was thin but not watery. (I prepared the white chocolate glaze by melting and combining all listed ingredients over a double broiler. I did this later when I fell short of the chocolate glaze and used it to glaze just 6 donuts.)
- once the doughnuts doubled, over high heat i heated a quart of oil in a large saucepan. when the oil seemed hot enough i fried first the star doughnuts and then the others in it.
- then transferring the fried doughnuts into a plate spread with paper towels i tried soaking off as much oil as possible from the doughnuts before dipping them into the bowl of prepared cheesy chocolate glaze and sprinkling them chocolate sprinklers.
- then to let the glaze settle on the doughnuts i refrigerated them. after an hour when i took the donuts out, the glaze seemed set.
by then Mr MN and baby had also come back home and were pretty delighted to be served with a plate of donuts !! anyway since i made way too many for just the three of us, I have frozen most of them and intend to bring out in small batches in the days to come !
These donuts are being yeastspotted.
also sharing at the following weekly food events...Monday Food: Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks, Meatless Monday @Veggie Mama's, Meatless Monday My Sweet and Savory, Just Another Meatless Monday @ Hey What's for Dinner Mom Tuesday Food: Tempt my Tummy @Blessed with Grace, Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box, Tasteful Tuesday Party @ Nap Time Creations, Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home, Hand Made Tuesday @ Ladybug Blessings Wednesday Food : Wow Me Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday @ Confessions of Overworked Mom, Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain , Wednesday Whatsit @White Lights on , Show and Share @ Semi Homemade Mom, Wonderful Food Wednesdays at @ Home Take 2, Seasonal Celebration @ Natural Mother's NetworkThursday Food:Link it Up Thursday @ Seven Alive, Creative Thursday @ Michelle's Tasty Creations, Fantastic Thursday @ Three Little Chiefs, Thriving on Thursdays @ Domesblissity, Freedom Friday @ My Turn, Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage Friday Food: Foodie Friday @ Home Maid Simple, Friday Favorite (DYI too) @ Simple Sweet Home, Foodie Friday @ Not Your Ordinary Recipes, Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm , Weekend Wonders @ The Thriftiness Miss, Friday Food Frenzy @ Mostly Food and Crafts , Weekend Potluck @ Sunflower Supper Club, The Weekend re-Treat @The Best Blog Recipes, Weekend Kitchen Link Party