Today is the second Thursday of the month. Hence the reveal day of
The two assigned ingredients for the month were coconut and lime and since that did not seem like a very difficult combination for a dessert, i decided to join in this month. now feeling all adventurous i next decided on trying these flavors on an Indian sweet and the first thing that came up my mind was a famous Odiya sweet namely, Chhena Poda. Even Mr MN thought it might be a good idea, so i went ahead and baked this authentic Odiya dessert with a twist of ingredients and transformed it into delicious Coconut Ricotta bites with Lime syrup.
for the coconut ricotta bites
- 1/4 cup jaggery (or sugar)
- 1/4 cup coconut milk
- 2/3 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 1/2 teaspoon semolina flour/suji
- 8 tablespoon coconut powder
- 8-10 pistachios, chopped
- 2-3 dried Turkish apricots, chopped
for the lime syrup
- juice and zest of 1 lime
- 6 tablespoons coconut milk
- 1/4 cup jaggery
- 2 green cardamom, crushed
- whipping cream
- slices of pistachio
what i did
- i preheated the oven to 325 degree F and lined my mini cupcake tray with cupcake paper liners.
- next i added the jaggery and coconut milk in a saucepan and heated it over medium heat till the block of jaggery liquefied. then switching off the heat i allowed it to cool.
- once the coconut-jaggery syrup was cool enough to handle i combined it with the rest of the ingredients to make a smooth homogeneous mixture.
- then spooning the mixture uniformly into 17 mini cups, i transferred the mini cupcake tray into the preheated oven and let the cakes bake till their surfaces looked golden, about 35 minutes.
- in the meantime i made the lime syrup by combining the listed ingredients and simmering them over medium-low flame. once the block of jaggery liquefied and a nice golden syrup with maple syrup like consistency was formed, i switched off the heat and kept the lime syrup aside.
- at the end of 35 minutes of baking time when the surface of the mini bites turned golden, i took the tray out of the oven, evenly distributed the lime syrup over the baked bites, then put the tray back into the oven to bake and let the soaked bites bake for another 5 minutes.
the coconut-ricotta bites in the process of absorbing the lime syrup...
- after that i switched off the oven. allowed the mini bites to cool inside the oven for 20-30 minutes.
the inverted mini bites as they looked after the lime syrup had been absorbed..
- by then almost all the syrup had been absorbed. so i took the mini bites out of their paper liners and put them in the refrigerator.
we were really excited with this mutant of Chheda Poda and I am sure that you too will love it if and when you decide to try.
Happy baking and have a great day and do check out some more interesting recipes with coconut and lime by participants of this round of BEHIND THE CURTAIN DESSERT CHALLENGE !!
Sharing this recipe with the following food events...Monday Food: Marvelous Mondays @ This Gal Cooks, Meatless Monday @Veggie Mama's, Meatless Monday My Sweet and Savory, Just Another Meatless Monday @ Hey What's for Dinner Mom Tuesday Food: Tempt my Tummy @Blessed with Grace, Totally Tasty Tuesday @ Mandy's Recipe Box, Tasteful Tuesday Party @ Nap Time Creations, Show Me What You Got @ Our Delightful Home, Hand Made Tuesday @ Ladybug Blessings, Share it Link Party @ Winthrop Chronicles, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Slightly Indulgent Tuesday Wednesday Food : Wow Me Wednesday, What's Cooking Wednesday @ Confessions of Overworked Mom, Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain , Wednesday Whatsit @White Lights on , Show and Share @ Semi Homemade Mom, Wonderful Food Wednesdays at @ Home Take 2, Seasonal Celebration @ Natural Mother's Network, Whole Foods Wednesday 101 Thursday Food:Link it Up Thursday @ Seven Alive, Creative Thursday @ Michelle's Tasty Creations, Fantastic Thursday @ Three Little Chiefs, Thriving on Thursdays @ Domesblissity, Freedom Friday @ My Turn, Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helen's Country Cottage Friday Food: Foodie Friday @ Home Maid Simple, Friday Favorite (DYI too) @ Simple Sweet Home, Foodie Friday @ Not Your Ordinary Recipes, Foodie Friday @ Rattlebridge Farm , Weekend Wonders @ The Thriftiness Miss, Friday Food Frenzy @ Mostly Food and Crafts , Weekend Potluck @ Sunflower Supper Club, The Weekend re-Treat @The Best Blog Recipes, Fresh Bites Friday @ Real Food, Wellness Weekend, Weekend Kitchen Link Party
and here are few products from amazon that you might like..