This week I baked an eggless apple cake following yet again a recipe from Madhuram's Eggless Cooking. As always her instructions were flawless. but this time I felt that the cake would taste slightly more moist with an extra helping of fat or oil substitute. so i modified the recipe accordingly.
now the picture and the recipe.
- 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup of small pieces of apples
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg powder
what i did
- i preheated the oven to 350 degree F, lightly greased and floured a 9x1.5 inch circular cake pan.
- For the cake batter, I began by sifting all the dry ingredients together and keeping the mixture aside.
- next in a microwave safe big enough container, i put the butter and sugar and microwaved it for 30 seconds till the butter was soft. then adding applesauce and the rest of the wet ingredients to it, i beat the mixture till it was smooth. i then folded in the dry ingredients and the apple pieces into the wet mixture, adding them alternatively a little bit at a time till the batter was smooth.
- then pouring the batter into the prepared pan i baked it for 35 minutes, i.e until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake came out clean.
so that was my #2 cake of A Cake A Week. honoring St Patricks Day, I am planning on a eggless minty streusel-ribboned cake for week 3. More on that next Sunday....
Have a great week !
Sharing this with Mix it Up Monday @ Flour Me With Love's, Mop it up Monday @ I should be Mopping the Floor, What’d You Do this Weekend? #5 @ Tumbleweed Contessa, Must Try Monday's @ My Favorite Finds